Sunday 30 June 2013

Battle of the Healthymixes || Foundation Vs. Serum

Hello everyone, hope you're all well! Today's post is going to be a comparison between the re-formulated and packaged infamous Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation and an old favourite, the Healthy Mix Serum.
First things first, the shade I have in both of the products is 51, Light Vanilla. I believe this is the fairest of the 8 shades for the foundation and palest of the 6 shades for the serum. Whilst this is a perfect match for me, anyone with a very pale skin tone would struggle. The foundations are also slightly yellow toned.
I bought the foundation about a month ago, and have given it lots of attention as I wanted to be able to do a fair review. The new packaging is a glass bottle with a red pump (Revlon take note- we want pumps), unlike the original foundation which was a plastic tube with a black pump. I prefer the new packaging because I think it looks more professional, sleek and  high end. As I don't travel a lot, thepackaging being glass isn't a problem but I see how it can be if you do.
Bourjois claim this is 16 hour wear and that the foundation gives a healthy glow and flawless complexion along with it being hydrating and giving luminous skin. That is a lot of promises that I'm afraid the foundation doesn't quite live up to. I don't wear makeup for 16 hours but this barely lasts 8! I put this foundation on at about 7 and by 2 it already needs a concealer top up. The finish is very radiant and dewy and the coverage is medium. I wouldn't call this a flawless foundation as it doesn't cover redness very well. However spots and blemishes are hidden without the need for concealer. My skin is dry in some places and oily in others, and although this doesn't cling to dry patches out of the two foundations this is best suited to a combination skin type ( don't be afraid of the word glowy just because your skin is oily).
The foundation also blends really well, and I use the Real Techniques Expert Face brush with it.
 I also have a FOTD with this on which you can see HERE.

Available from Boots for £9.99 (although there is a buy one get one half price offer on selected cosmetics at the moment) and £9.99 from Superdrug (although there is currently a 3 for 2 on Bourjois products)
 Now onto the Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Gel Foundation. The packaging for this is plastic with a white, prone to looking messy, pump and red lid. I equally like the packaging for both the serum and foundation and I actually quite like the pictures of fruit showing that vitamin rich fruits such as pomegranates and goji berries that are some of the ingredients.
 I got on with the serum straight away when I bought it back in April and I still really like it. The coverage is light, although buildable, and blends really nicely. Bourjois again claim that the gel foundation is 16 hour wear and gives a radiance boosted, even, revived complexion. And again I think these claims are exaggerated. The serum lasts a mere 6 hours on my skin, when applied lightly, but the foundation is very glowly and radiant whilst not making my skin look sweaty or shiny. In the picture below you can see how natural it looks.  
I can't seem to find the Serum on the Boots website but it is available for £10.99 in Superdrug which again has the 3 for 2 offer.
 
 Overall, I really love both of these bases, but the Serum definitely wins it for me. If you have oilier skin I would recommend the foundation but the Serum, in my opinion, is definitely one of the best foundations I've tried on the high street.

Have you tried either of the foundations? Which do you prefer?

Toodlepip
xxx

Bloglovin' | Twitter | She said Beauty | Facebook

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I read and appreciate every single comment (more than chocolate) and try to always reply. I also love finding new blogs, so leave your link and i'll check out your blog! xx